If you were injured on the job, and your employer has three or more employees, the employer should be required to carry workers comp insurance. This insurance should provide coverage for medical expenses  and lost wages that you suffer ( if you are out of work for more than seven days) and also compensation for any permanent injury that you suffer.

The first step to starting your workers comp claim is to determine whether or  not you were injured by an accident. It is required that an injury occur as a result of an accident before it is covered under workers comp.

Assuming that you were injured in an accident, you will have 30 days in which to file a form 18 notifying both the employer and North Carolina’s industrial commission that you were injured on the job

If you were injured on the job and are able to work for more than seven days, you should begin receiving 66 2/3% of your normal weekly wage as Worker’s Compensation benefits.

In addition, the Worker’s Compensation insurance carrier should not only provide medical care for your condition so that you can reach maximum medical improvement,  but they should pay these expenses as they are incurred.

Once you have reached maximum medical improvement a permanent partial impairment rating will be determined for your condition, if your condition is permanent.

We can help you negotiate the best possible lump sum for this permanent injury,  which may include total loss of employment,  if you’re unable to return to the same or similar employment as result of your injury.